- Intense and prolonged rainfall
- Insufficient or poor drainage
- Clogged drains as a result of garbage thrown into drains and rivers
- High tides can coincide with overflowing rivers in low lying areas
- Before construction conduct a background check of the area for signs of history of flooding in order to find out how high above flood level to build your structure
- Store important documents in a safe location. Such documents should be placed in a waterproof plastic casing.
- Assemble an Emergency Kit that would contain small tools like plastic sheeting, rain gear, blankets, sleeping bags, work gloves, flash lights, boots, tools, portable radio and batteries
- Do not throw garbage into drains and rivers
- Plan and practice a Flood Evacuation Plan with your family or colleagues.
- Identify ahead of time and alternative place where you could go if you are told to evacuate. Choose several places i.e. a friend's home, a hospital or a shelter
For more tips on Flooding view or download the brochure courtesy Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM).